Alright, so as part two of my "Get These Posts Done Before Class Tomorrow" special event, I'm also going to post my basic free write from class last Friday.
---
When I was a kid, I lived in Arizona.
There was this guy who lived under the overpass (the name of the street I cannot recall, unfortunately). Everyone called him the Navigator, my mother and I (non-locals) included. He had few possessions, being homeless, and tended to keep to himself. However, people were very kind to him and often gave him money. He had an umbrella to keep off the sun (hot) and the rain (rare), and plastic wrap to keep off the (sometimes) harsh winds. He and his dog lived simple lives, of which I had yet to notice.
My Mom asked me one day, my first time actually going over his home, what I thought about him.
I was eight, sheltered and spoiled, and while I don't remember my exact response I'm sure it was something snotty and ungrateful (as most eight year olds are.)
My Mother kindly, though sternly, informed me of his entire life story. He was a professor who had lost everything in a horrible divorce. Not a drunk, nor a junkie as I had (no doubt) presumed. He was a good man, my mother told me, and deserved my respect regardless of social status or earthly possessions. In a dual lesson, my Mother taught me respect and tolerance through the unlikely source that was the Navigator.
---
Soooo... yeah, that's my free write. Comments? Concerns? Feel free, its part of the assignment :P
No comments:
Post a Comment