Tuesday, September 4, 2012

the Canary Coloured Caravan of Death!! (I was expecting a horror movie...)

As many of you have been assigned (we share the same class...) to read Literary Modules for homework over the week, I have as well. While I read three of the six(?) articles chosen, I would like to share my thoughts and interest regarding chapter five of "Fun House" (or as I prefer to call it by its actual and admittedly much more awesome title) the Canary Coloured Caravan of Death.

The author frames her childhood coping with her father's untimely death through the work of a graphic novel, as well as chronicles the development of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It sounds depressing and, at root, it kind've is in topic as a whole. However, the way that the author's descriptions of family members' actions blends in with the artful rendition of their characters in a way that keeps it from seeming as such. The mother gets remarried (I'm led to believe, correct me if I'm wrong as some of the pages are missing) and the author copes with the lack of her father by expressing "latent hostilities" through odd compulsions that mostly show up in either the bathtub or her diary.

The text is crafted in the way reminiscent of more mainstream graphic novels, and as such some liberties with the actual text can be taken to further shape the story. In one panel the author mumbles something under her breath, and instead of actual tiny words there are simple scribblings in the word bubble to signify that it was meant that it was incoherent and not important.

I feel that the author chose to write this story as a sort of blending between her two great "artistic passions" that she mentions in CCCoD (still cool, even abbreviated) that flow through every member of her home; her talents being drawing and writing- which she does fervently in her youth.

All in all, I think that its an interesting take on a memoir though I am no less glad that I read it.

CANARY CARAVAN, AWAAAAAAAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment